Thursday, November 29, 2007

UC Prompt 2 (revised)

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

Perhaps the accomplishment I am most proud of is my that of my musicianship. Music has always deeply affected me. My mother, to get me to stop crying as a baby (and I cried a lot), would play a tape with children's songs. It was often the only method that worked. Even when the same tape played over and over again, I wouldn't care. Music has never ceased to fascinate me--the way one song can bring together a multitude of people with different backgrounds and experiences; the way certain melodies and words can penetrate every barrier, even to my very heart and soul; the way some songs can make me completely re-examine everything I believe about myself and the world around me up to that point.

My parents recognized my passion for music early on, and began paying for private violin lessons when I was six. I wasn't always thrilled at the prospect of playing the Violin. Practicing was always hard for me (as it is for everyone), and at times I felt ready to quit. I would have quit, in fact, if it weren't for my parents who refused to let me. Now that I'm older and have developed my skills, I'm extremely grateful for their persistence in the face of my stubbornness.

Over the years, I have expanded my repertoire and experience as a musician by playing in several orchestral and chamber music events. For three consecutive years, I played as a violist in the ACSI Honors Symphony, an annual event that brings together select musicians from high schools all over the state of California. For the latter two years, I served as principal violist. I've also contributed as a critical asset to my school's musical ensemble, and have performed as a guest in the St. Ignatius College Preparatory Orchestra. Earlier on, I played the violin and the viola intermittently for the West Portal Lutheran School Orchestra in middle school (grades 4 and 5). I've also played in several string quartets, in recitals with other violinists, and as a soloist in other smaller chamber music venues. Playing with other musicians always exposes me to varying styles, and gives me a newfound appreciation for the diversity of sounds and techniques that each individual brings to the table. There are few things more satisfying to me than being able to play with a diverse group of musicians to create a beautiful, soulful, unique expression of the human spirit. I definitely plan to continue my participation in chamber groups, as well as contribute to the University's music program throughout my college experience and, hopefully, for the rest of my life.

Playing the violin has given me an outlet of expression. I have learned to maintain a disciplined practice schedule, and have observed my gradual growth over the years as I continue to study and practice. Learning this instrument has taught me to persevere when things get hard, even when I can't see the final outcome. It has made me appreciate music even more--the precision it takes to make even a single note to sound beautiful as well as the complex mechanics involved in playing any instrument well. Music has a way of connecting with me, and with all human beings. Having the ability to enhance this connection with my own playing is truly a wonderful privilege.

No comments: